Thursday, September 11, 2008

Ike

This morning I woke up and turned on the news to see the projected path for Ike. Brett and I sat over breakfast talking about things we needed to do today to prepare. Ok, we need to dismantle the trampoline, swing set and get the outdoor furniture in. Do we need to get boards? I know all of my neighbors have them and some are already up on their windows. Where are the candles and the flashlights? Maybe we ought to buy some tarps in case we have some roof damage. What about those loads of laundry I should finish before there is no power? I should fill some water containers and put them in the freezer so we will have more ice. Should we leave? I mean it is still 95 degrees and without air conditioning it will be sooooo muggy. On the other hand what a pain it was to evacuate last time. Oh, shoot, I forgot we are out of dog food. I know it will be a mess going to the store. In the background we hear the weather channel telling us that this storm should not be treated lightly. My brain is in hurricane mode and at the same time I am putting Devins backpack on and sending on his bike with his friends for school. That was such a strange feeling, Preparing for the worst and seeing your child riding off and giggling with his friends on the way to school. School is not dismissed until tomorrow. Ok, I have a hair appointment today that I have been waiting for a long time. I decide to go. I am feeling pretty odd going to do this as I pass lines of cars waiting for gas and police almost at every corner. Once I am in there, I am glad. Just my little escape for the day. I think, well, if I don't have power for a few days or whatever, at least my hair will look good. lol. I know that sounds prissy. Off to home depot. I call my friend from there-"what are you crazy?!" she cried. Once inside I say, yes, yes, I am. All of this for a tarp. There are cars lined up throughout the parking lot to get the wood for their homes. I call my hubby. "Are you sure you only want me to get a TARP?" you start to get caught up in every ones craziness and panic. I am back in my car and reassess my preparations. I feel pretty good we feel prepared. On the way home, I could not help but to stop by and pick up some glow sticks and pop rocks for the kids. You have to be prepared right?

2 comments:

Leslie said...

wishing you guys luck and quick a/c recovery. i'll be thinking of you, and will probably be glued to the news.

The Bowman Bunch said...

You guys are in our prayers. Keep us updated. Love to you all!